Sunday, October 11, 2020

May

In May we finally realized Coronavirus was going to be a long-term way of life and we gave up "shelter-in-place" and went to visit mom and dad. The cousins had all missed each other too!
Pokey-time was still going strong though!
Now this was a fun surprise! Griffin and Quinn both thought it was Mother's Day a week before actual Mother's Day so I was treated to some nice cards and coupons! So sweet!
A cute little book to go along with Quinn's card.
One day I picked up our 8 lb weights and said I was going to do 100 bicep curls and then one thing led to another and all of us started a bicep curl competition. Emery won by a long shot. Her strategy was to kill our morale by blowing us all out of the water so when it was our turn we would be too dispirited to challenge her. She did 800 I think. 200 more than me. We couldn't fully straighten our arms out for a whole week.
The school gave us all these interesting/annoying things to make at home. Griffin loved playing this homemade harmonica loud and often.
Mother's Day part 2 involved a nice Powerpoint presentation from Griffin. Glad he didn't think he'd checked the "Mother's Day gift" box by doing it a week early.
Desperate times turned me into a hairdresser. Emery hasn't trusted me to cut her hair for years. With good reason! Her hair is hard to cut and show every little mistake. I think it turned out great!!!
I was super bored one day and decided we should just start ripping the floor up since we'd been talking about replacing it and I figured it would take a long time to rip up. Well, Emery and Griffin had the laundry room pulled up in about 20 minutes. This was where we realized Emery is our demo person. She's quick and careful and she can yank stuff off walls and chisel things off the floor like no big deal.
On to the kitchen!
I halfheartedly chiseled half of a few of the tiles. The first half is easier than the last half for some reason. I'm better at the role of documenter/picture taker/project manager.
Then I thought we'd try our hand at carpet removal and that went even faster than the linoleum.
Luckily, within a week or so, the flooring we wanted from Costco went on sale and we showed up that morning and bought every single box of it.
And then put it all in our family room right by the front door.
Where the kids promptly made forts out of it.

Guys, this is how we lived for over a month.

Remember the kitchen/stair railing I mentioned earlier? This project was still going on too.

So exciting! This was the very start of the flooring going in!
Then we got to the other side of this room and just stopped...for weeks. We moved on to the other rooms but did not figure out how to finish the floor in this room for sooo long. The rock wasn't high enough for the laminate to fit under and the front of the rock wasn't straight enough to lay it along the front without major gaps.
Griffin was asked to give a talk during our ward's Zoom devotional one evening. He did great!
The trash heap grew larger and larger. I told the kids not to touch it or play in it because of nails or other dangers and then went out one night to see they'd not only played in it... they had set up a tee-pee on top of it.
More pictures of our life that month. In the corner you can see Emery's board piles. She opened a few boxes of flooring at a time and arranged them in piles so she could make sure the same boards didn't end up by each other and space out similar boards.
Dad came to help multiple times which was so nice!



Helping color a Primary poster that got left on our porch. Each kid in the Primary got to color a small section of the poster and then deliver it to the next family on the list.
Bought, hauled home and painted tons of baseboard.
Our good friends the Koehlers moved and we were SO sad. We spent one last day hanging out with them and helping to clean their house.

Griffin graduated elementary school and Campbell graduated Jr High. They got to pick their favorite restaurants and each got a gift for all their hard work and great grades!

Finishing the flooring with T-molding pieces.
Baseboards going in made us feel so much closer to the finish line!
One little finished corner of our house.
The nook/stair rail that dad pieced together! It turned out so good and was a bout 30 times more time and work than I thought it would be!

1 comment:

Lori Whiting said...

All the projects turned out really nice! The kids were all a lot of help!
Your family is always super busy doing good things including lots of service.
Love you