Friday, July 8, 2016

Yellowstone

 We hadn't even gotten into Yellowstone- we were in Grand Teton National Park- and we were seeing pretty cool wildlife. These Buffalo were crossing the road right after we drove by. Emery was in the back watching them and she started yelling "They're jumping the fence!!! They're jumping it! Oh! They broke the fence! There's BABIES!!!!" It was great. Then we did the total tourist thing and puled over and started taking pictures and had no idea how far you were supposed to stay away from buffalo.







 Campbell saved us a ton of money this trip because all 4th graders get into the national parks free. Yay


 We ended up waiting about 30 minutes for Old Faithful. The kids saw little bursts of water coming out every few minutes and kept asking "Was that it??" "I think i just saw it erupt!" "Was that it??" NO, I PROMISE you'll know when it erupts!
 I think emery's plugging her nose in every hot spring picture. There is no cell phone service in all of Yellowstone and I was missing my Wifi because we had SO many questions I wanted to look up. We listened in on a ranger for a little while and he was talking about how fragile the ground is and how new holes are opening up all the time. One time a hole was opening up right under the boardwalk where he was talking and the tourists were all like "ummmm... the ground is disappearing underneath you..."
 They were all so beautiful and exciting and colorful and noisy... We tried to see as many as possible
 The kids were so so good and had a fun time tromping around all the boardwalks and places I made everyone stop. One of our stops was so so so windy that everyone's hats were flying off. I think the kids counted 18 hats just in one little section.


 I had the kids each pick their favorite and these are emery and campbell's favorites



 This was one of those gloppy mud bubbly pits

 Firehole falls
The Grand Tetons out my car window while we flew by

1 comment:

Neil Whiting said...

Grandma Whiting always loved the 'stink pots' too Emery.
buffalo are SO big. always a surprise