On Saturday I remembered that it was almost Easter so I pulled out a couple dozen eggs to waste dye them. Lucky I had just gone to Costco. We don't eat the eggs (because hard boiled eggs are deee-sgusting) so I threw them all into a big pot of water and boiled them a little. They were still soft inside but I felt that was good enough and crossed off step #1. Then I threw all the dye tablets into cups with some rice wine vinegar because I'm all out of normal vinegar. It smelled like asian salad dressing in our home. Ahhh... the scents of Easter...
Hey buddy!
griffin was a very careful dye-er and even washed his little spoon off after each stir.
Spencer showed the girls how to do half-and-half eggs.
Every year I get annoyed that the eggs aren't super high colored after soaking in the dye. No matter what I do. I add the vinegar, I even add extra food coloring and make it as concentrated as possible. I don't know why it bugs me so much. The only good colors this year were the pink and teal. Sooooooo... I took the purple dye and emptied my red and blue food coloring squeezie tubes into the glass and put an egg in there for the rest of the day and night. Results: Lame. It was still a very normal color of purple. Nothing to write home about (but it's apparently blog-worthy).
Hey buddy!
griffin was a very careful dye-er and even washed his little spoon off after each stir.
Spencer showed the girls how to do half-and-half eggs.
Every year I get annoyed that the eggs aren't super high colored after soaking in the dye. No matter what I do. I add the vinegar, I even add extra food coloring and make it as concentrated as possible. I don't know why it bugs me so much. The only good colors this year were the pink and teal. Sooooooo... I took the purple dye and emptied my red and blue food coloring squeezie tubes into the glass and put an egg in there for the rest of the day and night. Results: Lame. It was still a very normal color of purple. Nothing to write home about (but it's apparently blog-worthy).






3 comments:
I KNOW!! I am crazy about getting saturated colors as well. They never turn out like the picture on the dye kit. At least I know there is someone else out there as frustrated as I am about it. :)
I love the look on the girls' faces as daddy is showing them how to double dip. They look a little worried.
We don't eat the eggs either, but I figure it's still an inexpensive family activity...well, except for Dave who refuses to even enter the room while we are dying them. He can't handle the smell. I still love the tradition though!
this year and last i've used food coloring (on the back it tells you what to do to dye eggs) and it's WAY darker, and you don't have to let them sit too long.
THEN, i saw a post (too late) on pinterest about using kool aid to dye eggs. that'll be next year, i hope it doesn't involve vinegar cause i hate that smell. (the colors looked amazing too)
Looks exciting! I too used vinegar like the box says to get darker colors, but our eggs weren't dark either. I read this year how you can dye eggs in Kool-Aid, and the colors are supposed to be more vibrant. I think I might try that next year.
Post a Comment