So, the kitchen needs to be torn out some work. We're starting at the top and working our way down. The "top" in this case was the ceiling light box. The little square light over the sink will be converted to a pendant once I find something that makes my heart pitter-patter.
So, the new drywall has had the seams plastered, sanded and painted. Dad is putting up some molding just where the seams were so you can't see them.
Dad finished installing, spackling and caulking the crown molding. We bought the pro-packs of molding at Home Depot because they were so much cheaper, but then we had leftover molding. So, I kindly asked dad if he could tack it up in the bedrooms. You know... just if he had an extra second. You can barely see the hole in the ceiling where one of the lights will go. It's all covered for now until the painter is done. We joke that the more ceiling lights we rewire in the house the darker it gets because none of the new lights are installed.
Crown molding, window casing and hole for ceiling light. We have 2 white fans for the 2 girls' rooms. Doesn't the purple look better with all the molding?? Too bad. Purple is not around for much longer.
Neither is the peach.
Here's a tricky area in griffin's room. The vent was clear at the top of the wall so Dad figured out how to work some molding around it and make it look like a very special vent. Dad used 5 or 6 tubes of caulk on Saturday. Lots of woodwork.
The previous owners screwed this vent cover over the laundry room fan. Yeah... it wasn't looking too good. Bought a new cover that actually fits and ta da! Just moved out of the ghetto another notch.
Dad also wired a light for the wall of griffin's room so I get to find a cute little light for my buddy.
The painter is finishing up this week and I'm excited! He did all the walls, ceilings, new molding, baseboards and doors. Everything but the cabinets and kids bathrooms. We're cleaning the carpets and then moving in on Wednesday.
David is great with electrical work so he got free reign to come up with a plan. He tore down the light-box frame and drywall. We got to see what the attic looked like over the kitchen. It was so hot up there.
He installed studs for the recessed lights to attach to and to hold the new drywall.
Hope all that works. I just have blind faith that when I flick the switch all those wires will do their job.
So... side note... I'm the one who went to Home Depot and bought the sheet of drywall and hauled it back in our car. It's SO heavy and was by far the worst load I'd shoved into the car. Worse than the 14 foot long molding bundles and MDF pieces. I never get to have a normal trip to Home Depot. There's always something huge and awkward to get into the car and get safely home.So, the new drywall has had the seams plastered, sanded and painted. Dad is putting up some molding just where the seams were so you can't see them.
Dad finished installing, spackling and caulking the crown molding. We bought the pro-packs of molding at Home Depot because they were so much cheaper, but then we had leftover molding. So, I kindly asked dad if he could tack it up in the bedrooms. You know... just if he had an extra second. You can barely see the hole in the ceiling where one of the lights will go. It's all covered for now until the painter is done. We joke that the more ceiling lights we rewire in the house the darker it gets because none of the new lights are installed.
Crown molding, window casing and hole for ceiling light. We have 2 white fans for the 2 girls' rooms. Doesn't the purple look better with all the molding?? Too bad. Purple is not around for much longer.
Neither is the peach.
Here's a tricky area in griffin's room. The vent was clear at the top of the wall so Dad figured out how to work some molding around it and make it look like a very special vent. Dad used 5 or 6 tubes of caulk on Saturday. Lots of woodwork.
Ooh. Now, on to my jobs. I'm refinishing all the cabinets in the home. Here's the kids' upstairs bathroom. Sanded and primed.
New toilet seat. I love it. So clean and unused and perfect. I might just replace the toilet seats every couple years. Just cuz.
I cleaned behind the fridge. Don't laugh. It was a real job. I used at least 20 cleaning wipes.
Upstairs cabinets sandedThe previous owners screwed this vent cover over the laundry room fan. Yeah... it wasn't looking too good. Bought a new cover that actually fits and ta da! Just moved out of the ghetto another notch.
Dad also wired a light for the wall of griffin's room so I get to find a cute little light for my buddy.
The painter is finishing up this week and I'm excited! He did all the walls, ceilings, new molding, baseboards and doors. Everything but the cabinets and kids bathrooms. We're cleaning the carpets and then moving in on Wednesday.














2 comments:
More pictures! Keep them coming! This is so exciting.
Ok, I'd love for you to post a link of what tutorial you are following to paint your cabinets. I want to do it too but I'm nervous! I'll use whatever technique you used :)
Also, good luck finding lights! That's one of my favorite things to shop for. Check ebay and Craigslist for name brand light fixtures every now and then. It's one way I've been able to save money.
Post a Comment