Tuesday, July 9, 2013

New home! First set of before pictures

 Our new home with an excited little guy out front. We closed on June 20th and started working right away. There was a long "to do" list and everything had to be done in the right order. The plaster/drywall company was scheduled to come a week after closing so any work that would damage the ceilings needed to be done first. Mainly installing wiring for ceiling lights. I'll do a bunch of before and after posts. Yay! Before/after pics are the best! None of the posts will be complete but it'll give you a general idea of what's going on.
 The previous owners had some unfortunate paint choices. Family room: Dad and Spencer's dad (David) rewired the room for 2 ceiling lights. Most of the rooms had no ceiling lights. Just those switches that turn on a lamp or whatever.
 Part of the crown molding going up to hide some of the fancy rewiring work.
 The peach room will be Quinn's. It got a ceiling light.
 I was testing out paint all over the house. Spencer came home from work that first day and said "what did they (the previous owners) do to the house!?!"  Oh, don't worry... that's not a small child ruining the walls... just me. I was a little nervous tearing the house apart because the "sale pending" sign was still out in the front yard.
 Purple room is emery and campbell's. Love how the owners painted everything the same color... couldn't even leave out the closet doors. David installed a ceiling light in here too. He had to go up in the attic and pull wire up through there. Boggles my mind.
 We had to take down most of the ceiling lights for the drywall guys. I didn't want a speck of popcorn ceiling left (even hidden popcorn).
 Master bedroom. Had to take down all the curtains, blinds and random shelves and stuff that was still on the walls.
 Little buddy in the nook. This is before dad installed window casing and window sills.
 After the lights were wired dad got to work on the window casing. He made the sills at his house and then cut the rest to fit once we got to our house. This picture shows it all installed before spackle, caulk and painting. Ugly light is going bye bye.
 The 2 big windows got the super-long casing.
The nook window and some more paint samples.
 I might have forgotten this little window when I was counting. Dad didn't leave him out... little window got casing too.
This little hallway provided access to the family room ceiling. So, David sawed a square out of the ceiling that Spencer crawled in and out of to wire the family room lights. Then he set it up so we have an access point with a little door and everything.
OK... so before the drywall guys we did wiring for ceiling lights, window casing, some crown molding, took down everything that was screwed/bolted/nailed to the walls. All in one Saturday. Amazing.
I do all the random stuff: run to Home Depot, spackle nail holes, take down cupboards to paint, vacuum the floor over and over and get food. Oh, and kill black widows. 5 black widows. Big ones. With lots of bug spray.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Stupid black widows!!! We found three when we moved in and I still have nightmares about it. I'm so glad you thought to take before pictures! The casings are an awesome idea, and yay for new lighting. I'm excited for you and all the projects I'm sure you are waiting to finish. Good luck! Can't wait to see the progress :)

Neil Whiting said...

Ummm
I think this was two Friday-Saturday combinations.
You are a tough crew boss but it wasn't quit that fast.
Good pix
Love, Dad

John and Morgan said...

I love seeing all the pictures in one place. Can't wait to see it post painting. Were those spiders inside or outside?

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

Love the before pics and details! So fun...for me at least because I'm not doing the work. Love the windows everywhere!

Powers Fam said...

Congratulations!!!!! Of course, this is just the beginning of years and years of projects. :) So glad you have great helpers (big and little).