
emery is 5 years old so it's time to start her kindergarten studies. emery is homeschooled so no backpacks or bus for her. Until now we've been learning in a casual (AKA- not very organized) format. Now her curriculum has been organized for the whole year and the daily schedule has more routine. The one challenge was to make a year-long curriculum that is adjustable for the amount of time it will take her to learn each topic. Because the student to teacher ratio is 1:1 I can change what I need to change without too much trouble.

emery is standing in front of the new school shelves. All the books we'll use for school are organized and easily accessible. There are 2 bins (one for her one for campbell) behind her head- they contain all the supplies they need during the day.

emery's classmates. She loves her whole class. They teach her (and me) patience, how to focus and how to share.

We start with the Pledge of Allegiance (of course!) We talk about everything going on so we have a couple books about the Pledge that we're studying.

griffin's hunting around for things to do during school. I do the literature, science/history and math during his morning nap. emery does her writing worksheets/art while he's awake because she doesn't need my help with those. The first day of school griffin was awake during the morning studies and that quickly changed- he was using me as a jungle gym and making little squealing sounds to get our attention.

Let's not forget campbell! She does everything emery does except during emery's writing time campbell does some different worksheets. It makes me so happy to see the 2 girls learning together. We go through the whole day (whether we're shopping, at the park or at home) talking about the things we're learning and new things we're seeing.

For example... We were learning about the earth, the parts of the earth etc. For lunch they had sandwiches and apples so they could compare the crust of the sandwich and the core of the apple with the earth's crust and core (I had no ideas for mantle...) Then we talked about the moon and decided to look at the moon that night. We went out to look at the moon and talked about what we could see. Then emery saw a frog hop by, we caught the frog and the kids felt it and we talked about it. The next day we went to the library and checked out books about the frog in addition to the earth and moon books.

I love that I can teach the basics they need to know but I can also teach them about things that are interesting to them now. This is emery doing a science art project.

It's been a really fun experience to have a tiny school running in my home and I love that I can spend the day with my favorite little people. Homeschooling is going to be a year-to-year decision for me depending on how emery's doing and which schools are available for her to attend.
6 comments:
good for you allie! you are a rockstar mom to do that for you kids. how fun that campbell will learn so much along with her! just thinking about doing that every day with 3 kids makes me tired. ;) it's all about sacrifice though. keep us posted, i would love to hear more about what you do with them. it's very inspiring!
What an inspiration you are!!! I would never thought to incorporate sandwiches and apples into a lesson. I also don't think I'm structured enough to teach Julia at home unless it's music lessons. Emery is so beautiful in the first picture-such clear blue eyes. You should probably keep her at home until college. ;)
Wow, that is so interesting. I don't really have any friends or know anyone my age that does home school, so it's something I've never even considered doing. But, like you, if I thought it would be a better choice than our current school options, I guess I would give it a whirl. Your kids are so beautiful.
yeah for kindergarten...Looks like Emery is having a good time:) I wonder who is more tired at the end of the day with school starting...teacher or student?:)
Can't wait for more updates!
Allie, I think it's wonderful that you are homeschooling. I have thought about it many times (and continue to think about it). If I ever decide to actually do it, I'm going to have to pick your brain! I wish you guys all the best!
P.S. the kids really are adorable
Now there is a reason to have you children close in age at least two by two. Good luck! Which I could give advise but it sounds like you are ready and are flexible to learn along the way. See you soon!
Post a Comment