Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shilparamam

Shilparamam is a large area devoted to the arts and crafts of Hyderabad. There are sculptures everywhere in the gardens and many people are selling their goods. I tried to drag Spencer there but he claimed it was time for him to get to work. Maybe I shouldn't have told him the description online said "Ladies can shop 'til they drop". Entry fee: 10 Rs for me and 5 for griffin (What? You're charging me for the baby strapped to my body?) So that's about 30 cents to get in. This better be worth it!
Bad picture but I do have some appreciation for the nice, clear glow of my skin. I should make all my face pictures blurry. Boosts my self-esteem.
One of the streets of booths. Everyone told me "I give you good deal- first customer of day!" Excuse me? It's 1 pm and you were supposed to open at 8:30. As I walked around I realized only about 1/3 of the booths were set up with another 1/3 being set up at the time. That's not even reasonably late- come on... 4 1/2 hours?
I was the worst bargainer ever. I grouped my items together (like I was supposed to) and asked how much for everything (like I was supposed to) and when he countered I gave my same offer again (like I was supposed to) and then caved when he said "No! Too cheap! good quality!" (Not part of the strategy). It's hard to say "you're charging too much- your stuff's not worth that!" when the guy is sitting there carving and polishing and charging pennies. So now I'm the local sucker tourist.
griffin telling me it's time to get back for his nap. I've gotta say I love my new Ergo baby carrier. griffin's a little beast but I can't complain at all about carrying his around in this. I've been using the hip position to keep him on my hip. There aren't any other options to get him around- I would be laughed off the streets if I tried to push a stroller through town. Ergo should pay me for that convincing plug.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Don't feel guitly about not bargaining. I felt the same way in Mexico, and its like a 100x worse in India. I mean, its just pennies to you right? So why not make this guy's day a "great day at work" for his wife and family. That is how I look at it anyway.

Ok, so I am living vicariously throuh your adventures, you know that right??? ;P

ColleenaMareena said...

That place sounds awesome. I was going to ask what kind of carrier you're using, and I'm so excited it's the Ergo! I've had like 5 people in the last week tell me how awesome they are, and now I REALLY want one!

Natalie said...

I want to know what finds you got while shopping! That is my dream. To get really cool things at dirt-cheap prices!!

Justin and Amy said...

Wow Allie, INdia?! What a cool experience. Youa re one brave mama bringing little Griffin there but it looks like he is doing wonderfully! That is so awesome. I can't believe how big he is. Didn't you just have him?