Thursday, February 4, 2010

written and illustrated by...

My apologies, but because we spend a lot of our day doing some type of learning at our home I'm going to have to do some posts about it. Otherwise my children will have no record of their doings.
Our schedule has adapted to our lifestyle as the months have gone by. We still do the work- it's just not at the same time every day. In the morning I have a chunk of time where griffin is good and plays by himself so emery and I will work on math and reading. In the afternoons when griffin is sleeping I read and read and read and read to the girls and they do 1, 2, 3... 100 projects to go along with their lessons or books.
In the 2 pictures above campbell is coloring the pages for a book from the LDS nursery manual. Every day we read a few stories from The Friend, a lesson from the nursery manual, or some Bible stories. Then they usually have a project to go along with it.
Ex- we read the story of the creation in the Bible and out of a children's picture book. They then made their own 7 page book about what happened on each day. We make A LOT of books in this house. The # 1 product we go through is white paper (from printing worksheets and making books) # 2 is staples (for binding books). But, if the girls didn't like making books or doing art we would go on walks and talk about the subject, watch a movie about it, or something else. We do what works for us and what they enjoy. The project is just the reinforcer for what they learned.
*** When I say griffin is "being good and playing by himself" that might be a slight exaggeration. Here's griffin during Bible art time.
After reading a science lesson they were supposed to make up an animal character and write a book where the character is teaching us something. emery made a fish teaching us about ocean life. She LOVES busy work. I could give her meaningless projects all day long and she'd always ask for more.
campbell's character was a spider teaching us about life among the bushes. campbell likes to scribble her way through busy work and then bug emery.And this is what griffin was doing during science art time. Not too bad. At least he's not unrolling the toilet paper.

5 comments:

Neil Whiting said...

Pretty demanding sequence for teaching the little people. Emery is a very good student.
Sounds like school includes seminary.
Thanks for the explanation
Love dad

hilary said...

I love this!! I want to be just like you when I grow up, Allie! :-) Emery is a girl after my own heart. I can do busy work all day long too. :-)

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

those kiddos are sure lucky to have such a great mom:) The nursery manual is so awesome now! that is where we get our FHE material, jack loves that he gets to color the pictures:)

Anne and Shawn said...

So great to read about your little 'people', they are excellent students. I knew you will do great job homeschooling :)

Meaja said...

All i gotta say is ... wow super mom! Wowzers!