Thursday, March 18, 2010

Charminar

Charminar is the most famous monument in Hyderabad . It's the one they print in all their travel materials and sell tons of little Charminar figurines. So, my expectations were very high as we approached this highly-regarded place. I'm still amazed at the lack of conservation for the historical sights in India. People can tromp all over and do what they want anywhere they want. So, here's Charminar stuck in the middle of a busy intersection with vendors all around.
Spencer and I got stuck on a ledge by Charminar for a while as the traffic zoomed by--- we were on the ledge so our toes didn't get run over. Finally we came up with a battle plan to cross the street and went for it. There are 4 streets off Charminar each with its own specialty...
1- all pearl shops (our driver said they were fakes...)

2- all bangles (store after store of sparkly bracelets) people followed us around trying to get us to put jewelry on and buy it. You're supposed to ignore them and they go away. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

3- all dentist shops. By dentist shop I mean a little counter with really cheesy dentures lined up and a guy sitting there who will apparently make you a dazzling set of teeth right then and there.

4- fruit and wedding saris. This street was a little crazy. I had a desperate saleswoman grab me (while I was holding the baby) and then I almost stepped on a teensy weensy crippled man sitting on the sidewalk. Both sad events.
In the morning we'd throw our laundry in a bag and in the evening this is what we'd find sitting on a freshly made bed... They would even fold and button griffy's little onsies. He'd never had such treament. Nor will he ever again.

5 comments:

Kimba said...

ohmigosh, i don't even iron caleb's shirts anymore. that is service!!

Meaja said...

Yep, the 1st class laundry service is definitely worthy of a blog entry... we had that in Thailand I almost didn't want to come home. ha

Love your experiences guys! So cool you went and soaked in the Indian culture!! love ya'll

Neil Whiting said...

what is Charminar supposed to be? Religious, military, monument.....
Love the pictures.
Fruit and wedding saris -does that go together in some way?
The laundry is as good as Mom's [Nelda] ironed pillow cases.
Love dad

Natalie said...

I always want to know what you bought after hearing about all the shopping!! Another fun post! Please take pictures of all your fun treasures. :)

Lori Whiting said...

I would love to have someone deliver my laundry neatly folded everyday.
I have a visual of the dentures also. I bet it is mighty hard to eat with them in!!
Love, mom