Sunday, November 27, 2011

My B-day at Fort McHenry

 We all loved our trip to Fort McHenry (on the coast of Baltimore, MD). It was beautiful, the weather was perfect and the kids could run to their hearts' content. We started the tour by paying 14 bucks (7 per adult) and picking up the kids' "Junior Ranger" packets. griffin insists on having a packet and a pencil too. Then there's a 10 min movie about the Battle of Baltimore (Sep 1814) and Francis Scott Key writing "The Star-Spangled Banner" after he saw the stars and stripes still flying over the fort the next morning. At the end of the movie a choir sings the national anthem and the movie screen rolls up to reveal a huge window facing the fort and coast. I was a little emotional. Living in DC has brought out my "God Bless America" side.
 Then we roamed around the fort looking for clues from the Junior Ranger packets. We learned that each soldier made 8 dollars a month and that the British burned most of the major buildings in DC before turning on Baltimore.
 My big 7 year old
 The actual flag is on display in the National Museum of American History in the District. Pretty cool.
 taking her Junior Ranger certification very seriously
 not taking his certification so seriously
 During the Civil War the fort was used as a prison to transfer Confederate prisoners of war to bigger prisons. During WWI it was a hospital.

 Baltimore coast
 The fort is a star shape and there is a path along the top edge we could follow for a little while.
 You can see how high the wall is behind griffin. That's why griffin's holding Spencer's hand and not running free.
 OK, on to the birthday girl! I turned 29 and am NOT happy about it. I am not going to be one of those people who ages gracefully. Father Time will have to drag me into the 30s kicking and screaming. I don't care who says 30s are the best- they're lying.
We started the day at the Dutch County Market (run by Pennsylvania Dutch) and got a few home baked items to eat. It was fun and the kids though the people were very interesting. Then we headed to Fort McHenry and then ended the expedition at Cafe Rio. Later I roamed aimlessly through the mall not knowing what to do when I'm all by myself.
 Back to the fort... campbell and griffin are dancing by the cannons and showing how big they are.
Once again, they are certified to be Junior Rangers. You'd think the real rangers would be all annoyed at the kiddie certificate stuff but they're really into it. This last ranger even made them hold up their right hands and take a vow to always treat the parks with respect and stuff... The kids were eating it up and think they're big stuff.

5 comments:

Neil Whiting said...

cute mommy
happy birthday

Lori Whiting said...

Holy Cow, the grandkids will have to give me a few history lessons when you come for Christmas. Lots of junior rangers. What a great thing to do with the kids and they always seem to enjoy it.
Love, mom

Todd and Meagan said...

I need your new address pretty please. Do you have my email?

Janene Wilkey said...

Happy belated Birthday! Trust me turning 29 is harder than actually turning 30! Look at all you have accomplished and you look great!

Melissa said...

Ok I don't think you will see this, but AMEN sister! I am sooo not happy to be getting older =( I turn 29 beginning of March and I am not excited =(