Saturday, August 4, 2012

CT scan

Friday I went for a CT scan with contrast of the abdomen, chest and pelvis. The PET scan can show larger masses in the body. My PET came back clear. The CT scan can pick up smaller problems. Sarcomas normally metastasize to the lungs and liver. The myxoid type of sarcoma (my type) can spread to many different areas.

I showed up an hour before my appointment to drink 900 ml of barium suspension.
It was: huge
foamy
milky
chemical-y
vanilla-ish
nasty
and disgustingly repulsive

After and hour I drank a little more poison and then went in to the scan. The tech put an IV in so he could administer the contrast agent after running me through the normal CT scan. Then the tech announced "time for the shot!" and a warm feeling spread from the IV all through my body. I thought I had had an accident. It was so weird.

I'll send the CD of images off to Johns Hopkins after my ankle MRI on Tuesday. Then My 2 doctors can review the images and give me their recommendation for treatment.

They talked about 3 options during my horrible appointments on Wednesday.
1. high-dose radiation M-F for 8 weeks
2. high-dose radiation, then surgery, then follow up with more radiation
The surgery would be to go in and try to get "cleaner margins." Because I had the sarcoma removed without knowing it was cancerous they consider a lot of the area to be contaminated. They'll even remove the whole scar area and anything they can that could have been in contact or could have cancer cells. That's also why I need high-dose radiation. If the Drs had known it was cancerous they would have done radiation first. This would have shrunk the cancer and pulled it away from important blood vessels and other structures in the ankle.
3. amputation
Seriously, we had a whole discussion about it. No wait, back up, I sat and looked at the ceiling trying not to faint while she talked about the process, the outcome and how amazing prosthetics are nowadays. She also mentioned I was lucky because it would be a below-the-knee amputation. That's me- lucky! Spencer was typing out notes on his laptop and I could hear his typing slow down like "wait- if I write this down does it make it real?"

We're looking at options 1 and 2. Duh.

That's the short summary of my really bad day. Sorry to delay this update, but it's taken me a few days to process.

I'm grateful to have mom here driving me around, taking care of the kids and working tirelessly in our home. She stays up late and hasn't even taken a nap! Happy Birthday today to my wonderful mom whose job still hasn't finished as she takes care of me and eases my burdens.

Thank you for your many prayers and thoughts. They make my new reality bearable and bring a lot of peace and comfort.

17 comments:

Helen said...

You are so loved and in every prayer and positive thought I can send to our creator. Thank you for keeping us updated. We LOVE you!

Ena said...

Allie,
I heard about all that you're going through and wanted to let you know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine how scary this is for you but hang in there!
Love,
Ena

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Lori! Thank you for being such a good mom and grandma!

Allie, We love you and are praying for strength for you and Spence and wisdom for those helping you make decisions. Love, Judy

Robin Whiting said...

Allie,
Thank you for your posts that keep us up-to-date on your condition. We think about you all the time and keep you and your family in our prayers.
Happy Birthday to Lori! Glad she is there with you and your family.
Love,
Robin

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

Thanks for the update. I am constantly checking in and thinking about you and your sweet family. Nothing better than moms. No matter how old you get, they can make everything better. Loved that picture of cambell on her bday with her hair in a bun. Seriously gorgeous girls. Hoping and praying for the best possible outcome from this latest test. Love annie

Jeremy said...

Thank you for the update Allie. We're grateful to feel in the loop even though we are so far away from family. Best of luck as you make your decision

Elder and Sister Mullen said...

We are so grateful for your tender heart posts. We are so grateful for you. I told your mom "Allie can do hard". It is one of my favorite mottos. We can do hard. But we are so lucky because we know there is help from the other side of the veil and we will continue to call upon that help. We love you!!!!!

Elder and Sister Mullen said...

We are so grateful for your tender heart posts. We are so grateful for you. I told your mom "Allie can do hard". It is one of my favorite mottos. We can do hard. But we are so lucky because we know there is help from the other side of the veil and we will continue to call upon that help. We love you!!!!!

Natalie said...

I think they threw in option #3 just as a mind game. That way #1 and #2 suddenly don't sound so bad. Just sayin'. ;) I love that you can still add humor into these posts. Try to keep laughing or you'll get too down. Maybe that's why Dave and I refuse to grow up. :)

Bacchus Family said...

I haven't check your blog in a little while and this is the post I found. I just cried. I am so sorry about your terrible news but am glad you have a great source of support. I wish you and your family the best and pray for a recovery that is nothing short of miraculous.

Erika said...

Allie, Patty told me about your blog. I am so sad to hear that you are going through this. You are in my prayers! {{HUGS}} Erika Zuehl

Vogelsbergs said...

Allie & Spencer,

We love you so much and are so sad you have to endure this trial. We think of you and pray for you all the time. I know great strength and comfort can come from so many people praying for you.

Love to you all,
Aunt Debbie & family

amy brock said...

Allie,

We are praying for you and your family and we think about you often.
Love, Jacob and Amy

dorenej said...

Hi Allie, Thank you for being so good to us by giving such informative updates. I like what Natalie said and agree with her. Humor has always helped me when the chips were down. I love you and continue to send up my portion of the many prayers being said for you. I think God had to add a few phone lines to handle all the prayer traffic that is coming in for you! xxoo Aunt Dorene

Tremonton Whitings said...

Allie, I was the "unknown" at the top, hopefully now we are the Tremonton Whitings - we hope you are feeling the love and prayers, you and the family are in each one and I wish we were able to help more than that! Thanks for the updates, we get to hear your side of everything and are hearing the facts. Love & kisses from Tremonton.

Mary L. said...

Allie and family, You will beat this cancer! The Spirit will be/is so strong, the cancer doesn't stand a chance. Our prayers are will you all. We love you. The Lambeths

olers said...

Allie,
We just heard about what you have been going through and we just want you to know that we send our love and we will be praying for you and your family. Oler Family