When I first get into the room all my mold paraphernalia is strewn about.
One of the adorable techs took these pictures. Sorry I look like I just rolled out of bed. I did.
The techs assemble me. Lucky you- we're in the cat room today.
The whole machine (everything you can see in the pic) rotates around 360 degrees.
The treatment plan is pretty specific. My Achilles, the old tumor location and the whole scar area are getting the full dose of radiation. Dr. Frassica is trying to spare a lot of the bone, joint and tendons. Radiation can do major permanent damage to cartilage and joint flexibility. She's also sparing my heel so I can walk for as long as possible during treatment.
It's hard to believe the Dr can program the machine to deliver radiation to certain areas in there and leave others alone. I just picture it like a big microwave sending out beams all over the place. I guess that's why everything has to be in the perfect spot.
Next the whole bench is brought closer to the machine. Levels, angles and distance are all checked with those colored marks and compared to the machine's measurements. It takes a while. Sometimes they set everything up. Leave. Take 2 X-rays. Come back in. Move me a millimeter to the left. Do everything over and move me a millimeter forward.
Oh! I almost forgot! I'm sure you were wondering... I asked the techs and they said I DO get to keep the molds. Awesome!
Then, for the next little while my feet get to stare at a variety of cats.
I've gotten into these weird habits during radiation therapy. There are 8 angles and I know which ones the machine will move to in what order. I also count how long the radiation is administered at each angle. The longest dose is the first angle which points directly at my Achilles Tendon from the ground. I count and when I get near to the end I start imagining what I'd do if the radiation kept going and going. Like if the techs were taking a coffee break or something and forgot about me. How long would I let it go before I tried to bail off the table?
I'm also starting to enjoy the long car rides there and back. Its so quiet. I do lots of thinking. Plus, nothing beats the beautiful woods that line the freeways on the east coast. Hopefully I'll get to see some of the fall colors before this is all over and we move.
Spencer made his decision and signed the contract to work for Deloitte in San Francisco, He is going to work on Mergers and Acquisitions (M & A) for a company called TPG. The client is a huge company and there is a whole team of people working just for them. Hopefully I wrote that all correctly. He's very very excited and so I'm happy for him.
That's it for now. We love you guys so much. I wish I could express how much your support, prayers and thoughts have meant to me. I know the Lord hears prayers. I think about each of you, save every card and love your comments.
One of the adorable techs took these pictures. Sorry I look like I just rolled out of bed. I did.
The techs assemble me. Lucky you- we're in the cat room today.
The whole machine (everything you can see in the pic) rotates around 360 degrees.
The treatment plan is pretty specific. My Achilles, the old tumor location and the whole scar area are getting the full dose of radiation. Dr. Frassica is trying to spare a lot of the bone, joint and tendons. Radiation can do major permanent damage to cartilage and joint flexibility. She's also sparing my heel so I can walk for as long as possible during treatment.
It's hard to believe the Dr can program the machine to deliver radiation to certain areas in there and leave others alone. I just picture it like a big microwave sending out beams all over the place. I guess that's why everything has to be in the perfect spot.
Next the whole bench is brought closer to the machine. Levels, angles and distance are all checked with those colored marks and compared to the machine's measurements. It takes a while. Sometimes they set everything up. Leave. Take 2 X-rays. Come back in. Move me a millimeter to the left. Do everything over and move me a millimeter forward.
Oh! I almost forgot! I'm sure you were wondering... I asked the techs and they said I DO get to keep the molds. Awesome!
Then, for the next little while my feet get to stare at a variety of cats.
I've gotten into these weird habits during radiation therapy. There are 8 angles and I know which ones the machine will move to in what order. I also count how long the radiation is administered at each angle. The longest dose is the first angle which points directly at my Achilles Tendon from the ground. I count and when I get near to the end I start imagining what I'd do if the radiation kept going and going. Like if the techs were taking a coffee break or something and forgot about me. How long would I let it go before I tried to bail off the table?
I'm also starting to enjoy the long car rides there and back. Its so quiet. I do lots of thinking. Plus, nothing beats the beautiful woods that line the freeways on the east coast. Hopefully I'll get to see some of the fall colors before this is all over and we move.
Spencer made his decision and signed the contract to work for Deloitte in San Francisco, He is going to work on Mergers and Acquisitions (M & A) for a company called TPG. The client is a huge company and there is a whole team of people working just for them. Hopefully I wrote that all correctly. He's very very excited and so I'm happy for him.
That's it for now. We love you guys so much. I wish I could express how much your support, prayers and thoughts have meant to me. I know the Lord hears prayers. I think about each of you, save every card and love your comments.




10 comments:
Thanks for the updates, Allie. I think about you often. Congrats to Spencer on the job. I'm glad you guys will be in our area again. You are awesome and I really appreciate your persistence in seeing the good in your life, even at this scary time. It is inspiring. Hugs.
Oh the sassy Allie will forever live on...your perspectives are always delightful and honest! One week down and you're doing awesome. Thanks for posting the machine, I was curious of how your procedures were conducted. I totally thought "microwave" ish method too. Love you Allie! Give Spence high 5 from us on his job!
Thanks for sharing picture of the cats. :) Congrats to Spencer on the job. Will you live in Sand Fran or will Spencer commute? Good luck on the radiation treatments. It doesn't look like fun but you seem to be handling it like a champ! You're amazing. And despite just having rolled out of bed, you look fantastic! Seriously. :)
Allie! I just read your blog and found out about your cancer. I am floored! I am so sorry! You guys will definitely be in our prayers. I'll be checking back to see how things are going for you. Hugs from us!
I picture it like a microwave too. Crazy how they can pinpoint exactly where the radiation goes. Congratulations on Spencers big new job change. Hooray for California! If I were on that table/or long car rides by myself, and I knew my husband was going to be working in San Fran I would just picture all the sourdough bread I would make him pick me up after work and bring home:)
It is really helpful to see the machines to be able to picture what they're doing. How lucky that you get to keep the molds.
And congratulations on the job in San Francisco!
I've been thinking about you and wondering how things are going. I'm glad you're enjoying the car rides to your appointments. You're right about the beautiful trees here in the East. I hope the colors change before you move back so you can enjoy the fall here one more time, especially on your drives. Congratulations on Spencer's job!
2 weeks down! Yeah!
We are counting the days when this radiation will be completed!!
Love you so much.
Mom
You are such a good writer. Thanks for the up beat overview. You are amazing!!!
Post a Comment