Today was not the best day in the world. Worse than when I got the phone call with the cancer diagnosis.
My first appointment was with a radiology doctor and the second was with an orthopedic surgeon. Both are part of the Johns Hopkins sarcoma clinic.
They know a lot of stuff and the appointments took hours. I barely held it together through the first appointment, then broke down on the car ride to the second appointment and was a little out-of-it through the second.
Both doctors are sure there are still trace amounts of cancer in the ankle area. They say that even when the surgeon knows it is cancerous that there are often cancer cells left behind. The cells are just so dang small. So, radiation is for sure part of the treatment plan. I have a couple treatment scenarios but they both consist of high doses of radiation to the ankle area every day for around 8 weeks. Maybe another surgery. Yeah... not a good day today.
I'm scheduled for a chest/abdomen/pelvis CT scan on Friday and an ankle MRI.
The doctors will confer with each other and let me know if they have a recommendation for me.
I'll post more info later, but please pray for us in the meantime.
My first appointment was with a radiology doctor and the second was with an orthopedic surgeon. Both are part of the Johns Hopkins sarcoma clinic.
They know a lot of stuff and the appointments took hours. I barely held it together through the first appointment, then broke down on the car ride to the second appointment and was a little out-of-it through the second.
Both doctors are sure there are still trace amounts of cancer in the ankle area. They say that even when the surgeon knows it is cancerous that there are often cancer cells left behind. The cells are just so dang small. So, radiation is for sure part of the treatment plan. I have a couple treatment scenarios but they both consist of high doses of radiation to the ankle area every day for around 8 weeks. Maybe another surgery. Yeah... not a good day today.
I'm scheduled for a chest/abdomen/pelvis CT scan on Friday and an ankle MRI.
The doctors will confer with each other and let me know if they have a recommendation for me.
I'll post more info later, but please pray for us in the meantime.
12 comments:
Allie - I am so sorry your news wasn't better today but thankful you are where you can get the best of care. I admire your faith and sense of humor even under trying circumstances. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I am glad Spencer has been so proactive and supportive and that you have your Mom there to help you. Thanks for the blog updates. Love you, Aunt Deanna
ohmigosh, allie! so i'm like, what, 7 weeks behind on my blogs (i know because it started with having a baby) and i finally started checking today and holy crap! i freaked! allie, i'm so sorry you're having to go through this, i can't even imagine. so glad that you happen to have such connections with doctors and JH, that really is amazing. I so wish I was closer and could come help with the kids and meals! I'd send a frozen one, but I doubt that'd work well. :) We're definitely praying for you!! Keep us all posted!
Yes, Allie. You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this. There really aren't words, but know that many, many people love you. Hugs.
We got an email from the GB Relief Society Sunday night about this and have been following your blog for the last few days since then.
It's impossible to imagine what this must be like for you guys, but know that we are also praying for you and your beautiful family and we fully expect miracles for you in this process.
Allie~ I don't know how I have missed all of these posts, so needless to say I was totally shocked to open the last post about your first dr. appt... i had to go back a few posts to catch-up. i am so sorry that you have to go through this. How wonderful that your mom is out there to support you, and that you have an amazing husband who holds the priesthood and will be there for you every step of the way. you are a total rockstar in everything you do, so i have no doubt you will get through this with grace and strength. you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
p.s. where are you guys moving to?
Sending prayers. Love you Allie.
Hang in there, girl. You are awesome. We will definitely keep you guys in our prayers!
You are in every single prayer we say in this house. We love you, Allie! Thanks for keeping us posted.
You are in every single prayer we say in this house. We love you, Allie! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Praying for you and your family Allie!
Thinking about and praying for you as you go through your appt today.
Post a Comment