Today I signed the consent form for radiation treatment. During the "simulation" the techs make molds of the area receiving radiation, mark the treatment area and do a CT scan with everything in place. The marks will make my daily treatments go more quickly because the tech won't have to line and position me every single day.
It took a really long time. I was happy to lie there quietly while the 2 techs and the Dr lined everything up over and over. I don't want any radiation shooting at the wrong place.
A pillow-type thing was placed under my foot and it hardened after about 20 minutes. A warmed sheet of plastic was placed over my foot, pressed all around it, and allowed to harden. My other foot also has its own mold so it won't move around and accidentally mess everything up.
I wonder if I get to keep my mold after I'm done... I'll write that in my "Hi, I have another annoying question for you Dr!" notebook.
The "marks" can be done in a few different ways. Mine were colored Sharpies and stickers. Another option is to tattoo the marks on. I'll take the Sharpies.
This is my leg for the next 2 months. Fancy.
griffin was appalled that I colored all over myself. I haven't quite figured out how to incorporate purple and green into my church outfits.
It was hard for me to pick which picture makes my leg look better. Don't be jealous. There's plenty of scar to go around.Thank you to everyone who leaves comments, emails, calls, drops by and prays for my family. Some days are hard and I can feel my spirits sinking slowly down. Your kindness buoys me back up.
It was hard to sit in the waiting area and watch people coming and going from their radiation treatments. There were people of different ages and races. One man looked so sick and was wheeled in and out on a hospital bed. I felt for them. I hoped they have people who love them, are praying for them and who make them smile through their trial. I am very blessed.


9 comments:
We continue to pray and send positive "vibes" to the Northeast from Utah. How I wish we knew more to do!! This type of treatment has kept my brother free for 10 years now so I believe it's going to cure you too. I know you have parents & Morgan, Katie & Jeff but if you need another shoulder DO NOT hesitate to use mine! Love you!!
Allie, Thanks for all your blog entries to keep us informed about what is happening. Your sense of humor continues to amaze me. Always love your writing! Don't worry about your leg and church clothes. Sorry to say that your leg still looks much better than mine with all my spider veins, varicose veins, bruises, etc!! Love you! Aunt Robin
Hi Allie: Everyday I can't wait to look at your blog and see what you are doing. We continue to pray for you and your cute family. Glad that your mom is able to be with you. There is nothing quite so good as a mom when you are going through hard things. Love, Auntie Lana
You can definitely rock the purple and green. :) Good luck with all your treatments and just remember how many prayers you have backing you up. Your attitude through all of this has been such an inspiration. Keep your head high but let yourself cry on the days you need to. Love you girl!
Allie is the best!
Who knew she would be put to a test?
Though we all root her on
She is the one making us strong.
With her humor and faith abound!!
We love to cheer,
Keep on going Allie your Father,family and friends are near!!
Love your "goofy" Aunt Dorene
oh i can only imagine explaining that to wyatt. although he'd think it was awesome, the other day he was sporting 9 spiderman bandaids on his legs, none of which were needed.
you are amazing, allie! i know it'll sound horrible since you're going through all this, but you and your blog make my day. your humor gets me every time! i've told cabe several times that i wish we'd been able to hang out in cali! though hanging out with emery was just as fun. :)
Allie, I can understand Griffin's confusion. After all, it's a "no-no" to use markers on yourself! But in this case, a "yes-yes!" Love and hugs and many prayers. Judy
So now even your leg has a plan. That is good. We are rooting and praying for you and your sweet family. Keep calm and carry on. We love you.
The Mullens
Post a Comment