Tuesday, October 2, 2012

6 days left update

Tuesdays I meet with the radiation oncologist so she can weigh me (???), check the radiation effects and answer questions. My two questions for today were along the lines of "How can I stop my skin from rotting and falling off my body?" and "Why do I want to itch my heel off?"

It hurts so bad, itches like crazy all day and night and the skin is dying for some reason and peeling away. Walking is no fun. I try to hop or use the crutches.

Those who don't like disgusting things should probably take my blog off their Google Reader. But, since I'm walking around in public with this foot on my body I figure it's fair game to post pics on my blog.
 Dr. Frassica added these hydrogel sheets to my wound care routine. They are amazing. A-maz-ing. Imagine your super-itchy foot is being slowly poached all day long. And then, it's not. That's what it feels like to lay this sheet across the ankle.
 It's like a thin ice pack that sticks to the skin but not in a "rip your skin off when you remove it" way. I'm never taking it off. Ever. Well, she gave me a whole box so maybe I'll take it off for a few seconds to put a new one on. I wish there was some kind of sock made out of this stuff. Is that getting greedy? OK... I'll be super thankful for the sheets.

Dr. Frassica asked me about stopping treatment for a little while to allow my ankle to heal. This surprised me for a couple reasons. 1. I thought my ankle looked "really good"? I'm starting to think it doesn't. 2. Breaks in treatment are usually avoided unless there's a really really good reason.

I said "no way Jose" I am not prolonging any of this. Plus, I already booked my flights back to CA for our move.

The last couple weeks of radiation are the boost. The machine focuses the radiation on a much smaller area. Each angle takes about 1/3 as long as my previous angles. It makes me feel like I was getting majorly zapped before.

room count...
stars: 1
cats: every day but 1
I might have been misled when I was told "the rooms are the same and you'll switch between the 2"

***side note. How funny is it that my ankles are my least favorite body part and I've plastered pics of them all over the place???
Little buddy and I took pictures of ourselves last night. I lay on the couch a lot now and the kids have been so good to not drive me too crazy. They bring me books to read and like to bring their blankies and curl up with me.The kids also do a lot of cleaning since we have people coming by to tour the house. My kids are wonderful.

9 comments:

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

uggh. I was hoping there somehow could be no crazy painful side affects, aside from healing from having surgery:( I am so glad you found those cooling sheets, sooo glad they work. Wish I could help your kids clean your house:) Although I have heard Morgan say your house is always clean even with four children! Wish I could give you a day off from your ankle. Love Annie.

Lori Whiting said...

You do have wonderful, helpful children. We are counting the days for this radiation to end so you can start healing. So sorry Allie and we are happy to see you soon.
Love you much,
Mom

Neil Whiting said...

I'm thankful the hydrogel sheets are helping.
Get a couple more boxes.
So sorry that this is so painful.
And I agree you have wonderful children - we look forward to having them in GB soon.
Love, Dad

John and Morgan said...

Get more of those hydra things, and I'll sew you a sock out of them. You and Griff have the same smile - so cute. Love you & counting down the days.

Robert and Katie said...

So excited to see you guys! We love you and feel bad you have to go through this. xo

Jeff Whiting said...

Wow, Allie. That ankle looks pretty uncomfortable. It has been inspiring to see your strength through all of this. I can't wait to see you guys during Thanksgiving. Maybe I could give you a foot rub on just one foot, or a neck message would probably be better. I love you big sis! Hang in there. You are so awesome.

Meaja said...

Allie, you are amazing. Never believe you are alone! We love you!

Natalie said...

Your kids are wonderful because you are wonderful!

We are hoping to come out to CA after Christmas...depends on the weather. I'm excited to see you and finally meet little Quinn!

Hang in there! It all sounds horrible. So sorry.

BusyMama said...

Usually kids get their awesomeness from mom. So you must be doing something really, really right. These pictures are cringe-worthy yet you seem to be handling it incredibly well...like there's actually a SMILE on your face in the picture. Can't wait to see you in a bit! And I'm planning on taking your kiddos for play dates because 1) my kids need some play time and 2) you kind of, sort of deserve a break. Kind of. :)