***bad foot picture at end of post.
Tomorrow is the last day of treatment! This is a very good thing. The treatments used to fly by but now that I can see the damage getting worse by the day it's harder to lie on the table and enjoy myself.
My wound is very very gross. It wraps from one side around the back to the other side.
I try to keep it covered most of the time. Yesterday the kids saw my foot and reeled back in horror. emery exclaimed that I should be a zombie for Halloween because my foot was all rotten.
Then, I got a package in the mail from Morgan. It says "Do not open until Oct 10th".
me: What happens on Oct 10th
emery: No more Dr appointments!
me: I wonder what could be in the package
emery: ummmm... I think there's...
campbell:... a new foot! You need one of those. Yours is really bad.
The kids don't know I have cancer. They just think I have a lot of appointments for my ankle.
I get a few new wound care items each time I go in for treatment. There's a radiation oncology nurse on duty at all times and I've become good friends with her. She gives me awesome stuff like no-stick gauze and loose tube sock things to hide the ugliness that is my foot. Today I got petroleum gauze and the nurse wrapped my foot with new dressings. I was pampered.
effects:
sleepless... my foot hurts so bad, weeps all night long and sticks to the blankets, and it itchy and hot. I get a few good hours of sleep, but once I wake up it's all over.
pain... I can't set my foot down flat on the ground at all. It hurts to do everything. I hop around or use the crutches.
itchy... it's really itchy but there's no where left to itch. It's all open wounds.
"Radiation kills skin cells in the treatment area, causing your skin to peel off faster than it can grow back. When this happens, you can get sores or ulcers. The skin in your treatment area can also become wet, sore or infected." (Coping magazine from Dr.) Yes, that's me.
rotten... enough said
smelly... really really smelly
hairless... radiation makes the hair fall out in the treatment area
weepy... I have to keep something on it at all times
I am SO excited for this to be over. Not because I haven't appreciated all of the things I've learned. Life has been wonderful the last couple months. People have traveled from CA to visit. We're planning our move and things are falling into place. The kids have been so helpful. Spencer's had more time off because people at work send him home. All the good things have often overshadowed this one bad thing. But... now that my foot is dying a slow death I'm all ready to move on. I dream of the day when my skin stops grossing people out and starts to heal over.
Watching General Conference with griffin. Foot up and on ice. This is what I look like all day long.
Yet another warning... the picture of my ankle is not nice. It's not even ugly... it's repulsive. I am shocked every time I look down and see it. So, if you want to remain blissfully ignorant (like I was) about the effects of direct radiation on the body, please don't look.
Tomorrow is the last day of treatment! This is a very good thing. The treatments used to fly by but now that I can see the damage getting worse by the day it's harder to lie on the table and enjoy myself.
My wound is very very gross. It wraps from one side around the back to the other side.
I try to keep it covered most of the time. Yesterday the kids saw my foot and reeled back in horror. emery exclaimed that I should be a zombie for Halloween because my foot was all rotten.
Then, I got a package in the mail from Morgan. It says "Do not open until Oct 10th".
me: What happens on Oct 10th
emery: No more Dr appointments!
me: I wonder what could be in the package
emery: ummmm... I think there's...
campbell:... a new foot! You need one of those. Yours is really bad.
The kids don't know I have cancer. They just think I have a lot of appointments for my ankle.
I get a few new wound care items each time I go in for treatment. There's a radiation oncology nurse on duty at all times and I've become good friends with her. She gives me awesome stuff like no-stick gauze and loose tube sock things to hide the ugliness that is my foot. Today I got petroleum gauze and the nurse wrapped my foot with new dressings. I was pampered.
effects:
sleepless... my foot hurts so bad, weeps all night long and sticks to the blankets, and it itchy and hot. I get a few good hours of sleep, but once I wake up it's all over.
pain... I can't set my foot down flat on the ground at all. It hurts to do everything. I hop around or use the crutches.
itchy... it's really itchy but there's no where left to itch. It's all open wounds.
"Radiation kills skin cells in the treatment area, causing your skin to peel off faster than it can grow back. When this happens, you can get sores or ulcers. The skin in your treatment area can also become wet, sore or infected." (Coping magazine from Dr.) Yes, that's me.
rotten... enough said
smelly... really really smelly
hairless... radiation makes the hair fall out in the treatment area
weepy... I have to keep something on it at all times
I am SO excited for this to be over. Not because I haven't appreciated all of the things I've learned. Life has been wonderful the last couple months. People have traveled from CA to visit. We're planning our move and things are falling into place. The kids have been so helpful. Spencer's had more time off because people at work send him home. All the good things have often overshadowed this one bad thing. But... now that my foot is dying a slow death I'm all ready to move on. I dream of the day when my skin stops grossing people out and starts to heal over.
Watching General Conference with griffin. Foot up and on ice. This is what I look like all day long.
Last week my best friend from CA came to help me. I did not get off the couch at all. Jenny cooked, baked, cleaned, entertained the kids and kept me company. I appreciated every single second because my foot was at its worst the day she arrived. Thank you a million times. She truly eased my burdens last week.
Yet another warning... the picture of my ankle is not nice. It's not even ugly... it's repulsive. I am shocked every time I look down and see it. So, if you want to remain blissfully ignorant (like I was) about the effects of direct radiation on the body, please don't look.
This picture actually makes me jealous. It was taken a couple days ago and now it looks much much worse. The open area is covering most of my foot. It makes me laugh when I look back at my previous pictures that I thought were bad at the time. They look like nothing.


11 comments:
So sorry you have to go through this trial and so happy that tomorrow is the last radiation. We can't wait to see you Friday and have you guys here closer. Hang in there and we love you. That sounds like a Campbell comment!! She is very observant.
Mom
It looks like you can see down to the bone where you ankle used to be. Don't be disappointed if the box doesn't have a new foot. I really should have gotten Campbell's pointers earlier. So so anxious to see you. You're in every prayer. Love you!
I love your disclaimer at the top of your post. Luckily, the harmful effects of years of violent video games and other media allow me to view the photo. I still feel really bad for you though! I wish I was closer, so I could help. Your kids love when uncle Jeff is in charge.
I am counting down the days to Thanksgiving when I can finally see you and the family. I love you Allie, and I am praying for you!
so happy for your whole family that tomorrow is the last day of this part! So sad for your foot. But really glad there is a way to treat cancer. Will be praying for quick healing that involves lots of pain relief. love annie
you forgot the part about how i ate my body weight in cafe rio (twice), convinced your daughter to be an old lady for halloween, and acted as nurse to your self-doctoring schemes:)
i'm sooo happy that you will home in just a few days!!!
xoxo
Whew! I'm so happy for you that tomorrow is the last day of treatment! Maybe you'll get lucky and get the cat room one last time! :)
Hang in there Allie. You are strong enough for this day. And tomorrow you'll be string enough for that day. Love you!
Colleen
Allie,
You are so strong and a big inspiration to me. Please let me know if I can do anything!! xxoo Aunt Dorene
What a nice sister and friend! I'm glad so many people are helping out. (BTW we made get well cards for you, but we used the word "cancer" in them, and you didn't like that word in the beginning. So I never sent them. I stink. But we still pray for you in every single prayer...even the lunch prayer.) So how long do they expect for your wounds to heal?
oh allie, that looks so painful! i'm so sorry, but so glad you're done and can start healing. and ohmigosh, dealing with a move at the same time?!?!? granted it's a happy move, but that doesn't make the worse any less annoying. and i'm jealous you're going back to cali! as much as i love living near family and being in an affordable area (okay, that's really nice!) we miss cali every day. i've been dreaming of and drooling over dish dash for months! and you'll be there just in time to miss a winter. perfect! :)
Last day! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
I love this picture... As bad as your ankle looks I am just glad you get to keep it!( And a little jealous;) Hopping around sucks and crutches can be quite the workout. Keep up the good work!
Wyatt dannels
Post a Comment