Sunday, July 12, 2009

My 3 year old

campbell's birthday was laid-back this year but she still had a lot of fun. She woke up to balloons and streamers all over the house. Then we had her party with just our family in the evening. We playing in the sprinklers and with water balloons. Then we played a couple other games and had presents and cake. She blew out the candles before we finished singing. Then she licked all the frosting off her piece of cake and asked for more.
Just before bedtime on her big day. We love campbell for:

Her energy- she runs circles around other kids. She doesn't know how to walk. The closest she gets to walking is springing up and down on her toes and she bounces along.

Her huge emotions- she is either extremely happy or super mad.

Her wit- she's the funny one in the family. I don't even try to keep from laughing when she's in trouble but comes up with some hilarious comeback.

She has been potty-training for a couple weeks now and is doing OK. She gets so distracted that she'll be standing right by the potty and pee on the floor. It's insane (and I tell her that). I am constantly saying "campbell, look at mommy... campbell, focus!" as she's running around playing and finding things to do.

I always thought emery was a huge book-reader but campbell has surpassed emery's devotion to the written word. When we're visiting my parents she'll get hours of book time in. Mostly because my dad can't resist her charming ways.

Which reminds me. When we're at mom and dad's house the girls have a tendency to lose all sense of right and wrong and can not leave my dad's flower garden alone. They have gone in time-out many times and know better. Anyway, after a really long time-out session for yet another flower picking episode (and by episode I mean they'll clear out a whole flower patch in one swoop) I had campbell go tell grandpa sorry for picking his flowers and ask him what she can do to make it all better.

She ran over to grandpa and says "I'm sorry I picked all your flowers, can you read me a story?"
Last year I asked campbell what she wanted for her birthday and she said cupcakes. This year she said she wanted a big cake. I asked how big and, conveniently, she held out her hands to about the size of a 9x13 pan. Lucky me. So, she picked out the cake mix, frosting color and put the sprinkles on. I found these My Little Pony toys and thought she's LOVE having them on the cake. Instead she was freaked out that they were stuck in the frosting and thought they were going to get eaten.
Every birthday and holiday campbell gets some kind of bandaids- those who know campbell will not be suprised to hear we go through lots and lots of bandaids. She got 2 boxes worth.

My favorite thing about campbell is that she comes up to me and says she loves me without any prompting. She also says "mommy, you're the best cooker! This stuff is yummy!"

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Aawww! Happy birthday Campbell!!!! How cute is she :o) The bandaids crack me up ;o)

Lori Whiting said...

Happy birthday little Campbell. You are so special and we love your energy, I wish I had half of it. We love having you come to visit even if you do pick all the flowers. Grandpa went out and bought a whole crop of new ones!!
Our love, grandma Lori

Robert and Katie said...

Happy birthday Campbell! We love you crazy girl!

John and Morgan said...

We love our Campbell! I love all the things your wrote about her:) I'm glad she had a special day!

Meaja said...

M'li says "HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMPBELL! She sure loves her cousins, miss you guys!

Natalie said...

OH, Happy Birthday, Little Campbell. It was fun getting to know her better while you were out here. She is so adorable. Thanks for posting about her birthday. It makes me sad that we can't be around more.