Tuesday, July 31, 2012

PET scan

Yesterday was my PET scan. The purpose of the scan was to look for any other cancer in my body. I didn't wikipedia anything about it so I could be as ignorant as possible before I walked through the door. That was a good idea.

I went to the scan fasting because all the cells in my body needed to be "hungry" so the most metabolically active cells in my body would show up on my scan. This includes heart cells, the liver and cancer cells. Other cells like those in the intestine show up, but not as brightly as cancer will on the scan.

The technician led me to a little room with a cozy recliner, a CD player with classical music and some super-calming pictures of the sea. This room is where I was supposed to kick back, not move and try to relax my body.

Sounded good. Sounded real good. I haven't been in a quiet room by myself for 8 years. I thought they'd bring me some food and then let my cells go to town and take some pictures of them eating like crazy.

Not so much.

The tech wheeled a cart in with needles, band-aids and tape. Aww man.  He also had a locked box on the table about as big as a shoe box. He said it weighed 50 lbs and was made of lead. Inside, under lock and key was the radioactive tracer that he was going to shoot into my vein. Hold on a minute.

I look around and see bright yellow "caution radiation" signs everywhere. Including on the door of my cozy little room.

I thought that was a good time to bring up the issue that I'm still nursing the baby.  Thankfully, the tracer has a 2 hour half life and I'd be back to my non-radioactive self by the next morning.

He spent way too long injecting the tracer and cleaning the dang tubing out into my arm for-ev-er. Like every little atom counted. Then, after making a non-funny joke about how well the injection was working and that my arm was already glowing (I didn't look- I think it was a joke) he left me to "relax".

An hour later I was led to the PET machine and laid down on the little board. He tied my arms and feet down- like I was really going to fall asleep and flop around. The board inched forward every 4 minutes. The scan took 1 hour and then I was done.



BTW. I don't think he could have stuffed me through the machine if I were even an inch wider. My arms rubbed down both sides of the whole tube. Like a sausage.

RESULTS: I heard back today that the radiologist reviewed the scans and they came back clear. There are other tests to be done, which will look for smaller lesions, but we are happy with this news.

That's it for today. I'm happy and grateful.

I have my first 2 appointments tomorrow with some great doctors at Johns Hopkins.

Things are moving so quickly. I have not had to wait more than a day or two between tests and visits so far. I know I am lucky and it does not happen this quickly for everyone going through the treatment process. Waiting is the worst. Let me say that again so it has more meaning... waiting is the worst. Hopefully I will soon be on my merry way and have only a mile-long scar to remind me of a scary time in my life. A time when I felt God's love for me and felt His hand directly guiding my decisions. A time when my husband found something very dangerous in my body and pushed me to do what I would not have done on my own.

8 comments:

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

Thank goodness for that very scary sounding radioactive tracer injection/crazy scan machine etc. if it tells you there is NO cancer anywhere else. Best news. Not only what a good husband to make you go in, but what a good wife to listen to her husbands concern. I hate going to the Dr. I'm pretty sure I would never have gone in. So glad you did even it does mean all of this.

hilary said...

Oh my goodness Allie. I can't imagine how scary this has been and is for you and your family. I love your sense of humor through it and think you are awesome. So glad to hear they didn't find anything else. You are in my thoughts and prayers for sure. Hugs to you.

Alys said...

Such good news! We are so happy to hear it hasn't spread.

Todd and Meagan said...

I am so happy to hear that it hadn't spread anywhere else! I fasted for you yesterday- as I am sure so many others did. Hopefully everything will continue to go well with future appointments. We will be thinking of you! And way to go Spencer. You deserve a husband of the year award.

nathalia said...

What good news. Scary times, but I know you're being watched over. So glad that the cancer is limited in area! Best to you! And HUGS you beautiful woman!

dorenej said...

Yeah!!!! Thank you for the update Allie!!! We all love you!!

Sara said...

OH my gosh I have goosebumps! I just was catching up a little on your blog and saw this and thought what the heck??!?! So grateful you got the results you did. You have a really great outlook on life and the cutest kids. ;)And yeah for husbands that make us go to the Dr!

Melanie said...

So I don't know if your mom told you or not, but my mom and I ran into her during her therapy session (diet coke, popcorn ... and of course Target) She told us what was going on. Allie, I can't imagine what you went through. I was devastated for your family. Seriously, ask Chris. I thought of you and your family all the time. You guys were in my prayers. And honestly, I'm really not one to be consumed by other people's problems. But yours hit me hard. I have told Chris for years that I wish you guys lived closer because I feel like we would all be really good friends. Maybe that's why it effected me so much. Maybe because our little family situations are so similar and I was picturing myself going through all of that ... I don't know. But I'm so happy for you guys and the outcome of it all. Hope you are able to have some fun while your mom's there, possibly hit up Target or Sams. :D Anyway, so happy for the great news!!