Tuesday, September 11, 2012

day 16

Random info
1.   Does it hurt?
Not during the radiation treatment. Except for when my imagination starts running wild. Afterward, yes. It's really sore around most of the joint. My skin looks like leather around the area but it doesn't hurt.
The ankle is still pretty stiff and it's kind of numb-ish. I've fallen going up and down the stairs because it's hard to bend the foot enough to walk upstairs the right way. I'm lazy. I need to remember to lift my whole leg higher.

2.   I started Physical Therapy a few weeks ago and love it and hate it. I LOVE laying on my stomach and getting my foot and ankle massaged (5 minutes). I HATE everything else (55 minutes).
The stiffness is not supposed to set in for a couple more months. I have to keep on top of my flexibility now to minimize radiation effects.
Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation all at once.


3.   The techs always call the mold that snaps over my foot a mask. Now I know why... it IS a mask. People who are receiving radiation treatments to their head get that placed OVER THEIR FACE and then snapped into place. What a nightmare.

4.   Room Tally: cats- 15 star- 1
Someone at that office has my blog address I just know it.

The bills have started rolling in and let's just say that cancer is not for the frugal. We have amazing insurance. I love our insurance. I've always loved our insurance. I would be crying buckets now if we did not have our insurance.

Lets go over a small sample of the bills...
I'm receiving daily radiation treatments.
Cost billed to insurance per treatment: over 2000 dollars.
There will be 37 treatments.
I told you that machine was big and shiny.
My cost per treatment: nothing
I sat and cried when I scrolled through bill after bill. Hospital stay, surgeon, 2 hospital path labs, X-rays, PET scan, CTs, MRIs, radiation treatment plan, etc etc. They add up to over 50 thousand dollars so far. That's just the bills that have been processed.

The "You owe" column was filled with zeros.

So, today I'm grateful that I do not have to stress over paying for my cancer treatment. Grateful that I have access to the care I feel is best for my condition. Thankful Spencer has a good job. Thankful to Heavenly Father for my blessings.

10 comments:

Todd and Meagan said...

I am glad you have been blessed with good insurance! Hope you are doing okay despite everything going on. The picture of Griffin sleeping on the couch/ottoman is hilarious. :)

Powers Fam said...

Another blessing from Spencer's job. I started crying just thinking about how that is one less thing to worry or stress about during your treatment. Hugs to you Allie!

Lori Whiting said...

We too are grateful Allie that you have the best care.
It makes me cry to see the little ones and I miss them so much.
We think of you every morning leaving for your treatment at 6:30 and know that this too will pass and you will be able to move here soon.
Love, mom

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

Good insurrance is a blessing! Especially when you realize how much actually "using" it would cost. So glad your family has one less worry during all of this. So thankful for your example of recongnizing positive aspects and blessing when it could be soo easy to do the opposite.
Love you.

Robert and Katie said...

I love you! Miss you guys!

John and Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John and Morgan said...

I'm sorry you're stiff already. Those were treacherous stairs before this happened. We love you! You're almost halfway!

Kimba said...

oh i'm sooo glad you have good insurance! i can't imagine how horrible it would be otherwise.

griffin sleeping on the ottoman? holy crap. best thing ever. 2.5 hours?!

you are seriously amazing. for reals.

Alys said...

What a blessing to have good insurance! And, I love the kid post. I think Griffin and Harrison would get along.

Ashley C. said...

Just checking in! You definitely have a lot to be grateful for even amidst all the yuckiness. I hope things continue to go well, at least as well as they can go. Make sure to pick up your foot on those stairs! That is scary.