We had a special family home evening Monday night in preparation for the first day of school on Tuesday. Last year when I gave them their last hug as they walked into class I would say "choose the right" and they would finish with "even if I'm the only one". Later they memorized Elder Holland's quote from conference about living the gospel faithfully even if those around you don't live it at all. Defend your beliefs with courtesy and compassion, but defend them. So, in addition to our "choose the right" quote from last year, we also say "have courage and be kind" from Cinderella for this year.
When I pick them up from school it gives me the opportunity to ask them how they showed courage and how they were kind that day at school. The best part of our little after school chats is watching how their answers changed as the year goes on. They start out having to hunt around in their mind for something to say, but by the end of the year they had gone out of their way to do something good that they could report about.
After our lesson Spencer gave each kid a father's blessing
Tuesday morning we had one last family prayer asking for protection and strength for my precious little children.
Little buddy started 1st grade so instead of getting out before noon, he gets to stay through lunch now and gets out at 2:30. His teacher is a jolly old grandma and I love her so much. She thinks everything the kids do is super funny and has been teaching for a while. After the first round of pictures he went inside and changed his shirt so don't be too confused- ha.
campbell is in 4th grade and her teacher is young and cute and dresses super stylish so it should be another great year in campbell's world. If you LOOK cool then you must be cool. At back to school night I talked with her teacher and she said "oh, you're campbell's mom! I love campbell- she's so funny!" Yes, she is hilarious... I hope her teacher means that in the good way.
The school has a 4th and 5th grade band/orchestra and campbell wants to do the violin or clarinet this year.
emery started middle school and is in 6th grade. For 3 of her classes she has the same students and teacher. Then she has 6th grade PE, science and math so at least she's not mixed in with the 7th and 8th graders too much. I loved Back to School night and thought her teachers were entertaining, caring and really enthusiastic. She is beaming each day when I pick her up and is having a great time feeling a little more grown up. She spent forever learning how to open her combination lock for her PE locker and gets to change for PE now.

2 comments:
Great students
Lucky teachers to get them
Love
Love how you teach these wonderful things to the children. They will always remember these important lessons and how it made them feel. You are great parents!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment