I wanted this trip to be fun for Spencer and I and also the kids. No groaning or whining when we're on vacation. Then no one has fun.
Most of the sightseeing locations I left as a surprise until we got there. That way the kids wouldn't build it all up in their minds and then think it was lame once we arrived. This was a pretty successful strategy and the kids were super enthusiastic about each stop.
As I said before, Rhode Island is awesome. Many of the wealthy families of the 1800s built "summer cottages" (aka humongous mansions) on the coast of Rhode Island. Now there's a Cliff Walk you can travel along to see some of these mansions. It's beautiful and the trail was so much fun. Plus, we had perfect weather.
quinny didn't have a clue where we were.
Most of the walk is paved with some kind of fencing so the kids could run along without us freaking out about them falling off a cliff.
The whole walk is about 3.5 miles down the Newport coast. You can turn around wherever you want.
This was a favorite part of the Cliff Walk. The pavement gives way to this pathway made of boulders. We held griffin's hand as he went "jump, jump, big jump! jump, look at me! Big jump!"
Then he started this really fun habit of stopping in the middle of the road. He'd just stop. Not a word. This meant we were going too fast for his little legs.
Here's the last picture I'll ever have of my hat. I'm guessing it's somewhere between this mansion...
and this one.
Most of the sightseeing locations I left as a surprise until we got there. That way the kids wouldn't build it all up in their minds and then think it was lame once we arrived. This was a pretty successful strategy and the kids were super enthusiastic about each stop.
As I said before, Rhode Island is awesome. Many of the wealthy families of the 1800s built "summer cottages" (aka humongous mansions) on the coast of Rhode Island. Now there's a Cliff Walk you can travel along to see some of these mansions. It's beautiful and the trail was so much fun. Plus, we had perfect weather.
quinny didn't have a clue where we were.
Most of the walk is paved with some kind of fencing so the kids could run along without us freaking out about them falling off a cliff.
The whole walk is about 3.5 miles down the Newport coast. You can turn around wherever you want.
This was a favorite part of the Cliff Walk. The pavement gives way to this pathway made of boulders. We held griffin's hand as he went "jump, jump, big jump! jump, look at me! Big jump!"
Then he started this really fun habit of stopping in the middle of the road. He'd just stop. Not a word. This meant we were going too fast for his little legs.
Here's the last picture I'll ever have of my hat. I'm guessing it's somewhere between this mansion...
and this one.














No comments:
Post a Comment