Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nubble Lighthouse, York, Maine




 I really wanted to see some part of Maine on our trip so we barely skirted into the southern part of the state to see a beautiful lighthouse. It's on a tiny island right off the coast of Maine and has a few funny stories in it's history. One of the lighthouse keepers had a small son and every morning he'd stick his son in this basket and used the pulley-line to haul him back and forth across the ocean to school. After Madeline Downing painted this picture (below) of his daily adventure the Coast Guard arranged for other accommodations for the boy during the week.
 The fog increased drastically as we got closer to the border of Maine. It looks freezing outside, but we were still in T-shirts.

 This was a really beautiful view. I was surprised at how many people were pulling in and out of the parking lot to see the lighthouse despite the fog. Twice a year they decorate the lighthouse with Christmas lights- that would be really pretty.


 We ate crab cakes, lobster bisque and baked potato at Fox's right at the lighthouse.

An hour later we were at our hotel in New Hampshire. Traveling around the East Coast is great for the impatient person. Every hour you're in a new state.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I dream of visiting Maine one day! I'm so glad you were able to see some of it.